Thursday, July 10, 2008

TouchDown!!

We touched down this morning at 9:45 local time in Conakry, Guinea!!! Just stepping onto the runway onto actual land just made what had, up to that point been a very surreal experience astoundingly real. I was overwhelmed with emotions...so much time preparing and here we were all were finally stepping into the country that will be our home for the next 2 years. Confused and jet-lagged we met all of our Peace Corps directors and administrators and walked out to the baggage claim where we were greeted warmly by shouts of welcome and joy from the Peace Corps Volunteers already in country. And for what would be another of many time this day, my eyes misted over in a fog of tears of overwhelming joy, apprehension, relief, and sadness too.

Today was a whirlwind. We were all really wiped out from our travels and road weary but the Volunteers and PC Staff helped move our heavy bags to vans where as we traveled to the headquarters, we saw our first glimpse of what a "developing nation"really means. Needles to say, our mouths were hanging open for a while and I certainly had some feelings of misgivings as I saw before me what I had seen only in pictures, moving there in real life, with all its scents, sounds, and colors.

To add to the unreality of the day, we reached the PC headquarters to find them safely corralled with walls covered in beautiful murals and rooms with AC, bathrooms with flush toilets, and a wonderful lunch not far away. We met our countrydDirector, education facilitators, and so many of the staff that our tired minds can barely remember their faces at this time, not to mention their names. But all that will come. I practiced my french and as they say, petit a petit, little by little....

We hung out today with the Peace Corps Volunteers and asked millions of questions, and they were endlessly accomodating, and no matter what stories they told, the good and the bad, they all agree that this is an experience that is not to be missed. Sitting here now, with a second wind, trying to wind down for the first night in guinea (and under a mosquito net no less!) I know that this is so. And though I'm nervous, I'm so incredibly inspired by the people that I'm meeting, those in our staging groups and those from previous groups, that I know that we would not give up this experience for anything in the world.

Love to you al! And let the adventure begin!!!!!

Be Well,
Kim and Jon

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see that you've made it. I hope to read more in the future. Josh B.

Jenna said...

I have to say, and I don't quite know why, but I'm crying reading your post. What an amazing thing you are doing; and together! (who knew a semi-colon could be so abused!) I was accepted into Americorps yesterday. My training will be in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It's not Guinea, but for a girl whose never been south of Massachusetts, I am very excited! In other news, Mike and I have fully moved into the house, I have cut 8 inches of hair away and also lost 15 pounds via Wii Fit yoga. Huzzah! It's so good to hear that the other PC volunteers are great. And now you know that toothbrushes are not necessarily an American luxury. All of my love to you. Keep in touch, you crazy kids.

Jose Gibert said...

Congratulations on this incredible journey. Your blog is bookmarked and I will visit it often. My daughter Tiffany is in your G16 group. All the best.

gibbsfam said...

To our baby girl and her loving hubby, we are so very proud of you both. You are exactly where you should be doing exactly what you are meant to do. We love you more then the stars in the sky!! love from Momma + Dad...Sean, Kyle + Cuddles :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon and Kim, I'm anxious to hear how your first few weeks have been so I think you all should be writing more. Had a chance to watch any of the shows I set you up with?

Jon, I bought a 360 a lil while ago and have been playing Assassin's Creed. It's too bad you weren't around to play it because you'd be all over this frickin' game. They went through and built the entire cities of Jerusalem, Acme, and Damascus during the 13th century. It's fairly accurate to the time period as well. You're part of the Hashashin, an actual assassin's guild from the time period and your targets are people of political power. What's neat though is that all the people you target actually existed and either died or disappeared mysteriously according to records.

I've been playing it a lot lately and just keep thinking about how much you'd be getting all nerdy over it. Take a look at this pic. This is in game Jerusalem and that whole city in the background, yep, you can run, climb, and explore the entire thing.

http://matteomazzali.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/182-assassin-s-creed-s-jerusalem-jumpinthesun.jpg

Unknown said...

Hi Kim and Jon, Jennifer sent me your website and I have really enjoyed reading your posts. What a wonderful adventure already, with so much more to come. We are having a yoga gathering on Saturday to celebrate Sylvia's goals of becoming a certified yoga instructor and I will share your stories. Sylvia will be glad to know you packed your "yoga toes." We will send you white light and love to keep you strong for all that is ahead for you. Take care, looking forward to your words. Kalina