Sunday, November 30, 2008

That turkey has one hell of a carbon footprint.


As I'm writing this, Kim is finishing up with some last minute correspondence and school work on the computer and the two of us are trying to prepare ourselves for our trip back to site.
We had a wonderful time celebrating Thanksgiving and hope the same for friends and family back in the states. The Peace Corps flew in two turkeys (hence the title) which we diligently obliged by devouring. Beyond that, everyone lent a hand to make side dishes and deserts in copious array giving rise to a veritable smorgasbord (to quote Templeton the rat from 'Charlottes Web'). Besides eating Kim and I joined our fellow volunteers in watch a great deal of movies. I finally saw the new Indiana Jones (rather disappointing at parts) and IronMan (which I probably enjoyed to much). Other then that, the two of us passed the holiday weekend in relative quite enjoying the sites (but not the sounds and smells) of the local beach bar which offers beautiful sunsets framed by palm frond silhouettes.
A couple interesting photos to share.
Here’s me carving one of the turkeys with one of our Peace Corps buddies.

Here is a picture of a really neat bug Kim managed to photograph.

Here is a photo of the homestead with some of the neighborhood kids.

Here is a portrait of Rambo. I hope to take a better photo of this wonderful piece of modern art but, deadlines being what they are, I was forced to post as is.

Here is a second, more refined approach the medium of visual representation brought to you by my little Guinean neighbor/brother.

Lastly a portrait of the artist (or rather a photograph)

An aside: there's a forthcoming photo of a huge Baobab that Kim and I have been meaning to show off. It’s striking, and makes me feel like John Muir when I get up close. Until next time, be well. Know that were thinking of home, friends, and family.
Yours as always,
Jon and Kim

No comments: